Sunday, November 22, 2009

UNFINISHED BUSINESS

Attention! All crew members man your battle stations....THIS IS NOT A DRILL!!

I was going to finish and post this page after the upcoming holiday, but instead I figured I would give all you Thanksgiving turkeys a treat, and post it post haste. I know I enjoy seeing the rough stages of work someone else has done, so I'm guessing you guys might too. It's only half a page because .... well, I gotta have some secrets right?

Most of you regulars know this by now, but for the newly converted I'll toss out once again that I work at (regular) comicbook size. That's a page area of 6"x10" folks! Not to toot my own whistle, but I'm pretty happy with the level of detail I am starting to get from a two and one half inch square panel like the two above. If you revisit some of my earlier posts from a few years back you will see this has been a long time getting to this level.

Enjoy the Birds, and pass the Stuffin' !

6 comments:

Michelle said...

I like the handsome guy in the first panel.

Mitchell said...

That guy belongs to YOU sweetie <3

Anonymous said...

All the panels look great. I especially like the submarine panel.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Mykal Banta said...

Good stuff, Mike! Just out of curiosity, why do you work on such a small canvas? (6X10). I like this stuff a lot, though, and love the concept! Keep it up! -- Mykal

Mitchell said...

TO: MYKAL...
I work at actual book size for economic reasons, not just the $$$ I save on not using pro-boards, but also the economy of time and space. Working off standard copy paper means I can lug everything around nicely in my steel SAUNDERS clip case, and take pages out anywhere to work on them. There is no reducing of the art when it comes time for production, I can scan my on stuff from home. I started out as most people do working on copy paper in high school, then years later went to the pro-boards, and just found them to be costly, cumbersome, and time consuming to fill up all that area. I'm a pretty busy guy, and I'm lucky when I can grab a 8hrs per week to do a page. Working small means I can have all my pages at the ready if some downtime presents itself even when I'm not at home. Lettering has been the greatest challenge however, and I'm still struggling there. I could always use the PC, but I pride myself that rough or not, all my work is hand hewn, and created by yours truly start to finish. Great question... thanks for asking.

Mykal Banta said...

Michael: Ah. Great Answer! I like the hand done stuff myself (you can always tell the difference. I don't care what anyone says, and stuff done with an actual brush or pen is always, always better. Photoshop or digital tablet stuff stands out a mile off. some of it is wonderful - but never as interesting or magical. That goes for lettering, too, which is a completely lost art. Bravo. -- Mykal